What We Do For You
The Career Development Office (CDO) at Drake Law School understands that career paths are constantly changing and that career development is an ongoing, lifelong process.
The CDO is committed to providing first-rate, proactive assistance to all students and alumni in their job search throughout school and beyond, providing support for both the traditional and alternative legal employment markets. We make it a priority to provide individual attention, direction, and enthusiasm.
At Drake Law School, career development is a partnership. The CDO empowers students and alumni to have control over their job search, whether local or national.
We give you the skills to achieve your goals through individual counseling, informative workshops, written and electronic resources, an expansive alumni network, thousands of job postings, a mock interview program, and organized networking opportunities.
We also help employers find ethical, confident, and assertive attorneys Drake Law School is known for producing in accordance with its mission.
Comprehensive Skills Program
We have created a comprehensive skills program to provide students and alumni with the resources necessary for a successful, self-directed career.
This program includes:
Uniform Bar Exam
- Career Planning - A Year in the Life of a 1L
- Effective Resumes and Cover Letters
- Successful Interviewing Strategies
- Beyond On-Campus Interviews - Where the Jobs Are
- Job Searching on the Internet
- Conducting an Effective Out-of-State Job Search
- How to Apply for Your State Bar Examination and Info on Bar Review Courses
- ABC's of a Law Firm - Introduction to Law Firm Life
- How to Have a Successful Summer Break
- Judicial Clerkship Information Sessions
- Mock Interview Program
- Structured Networking Events
Iowa has adopted the Uniform Bar Exam (starting with the February 2016 exam), making it easier than ever to launch your career across the country. The UBE allows you to take the bar exam in Iowa, and then use your score in any of the other UBE jurisdictions. With the potential to be licensed in several different states (subject to individual requirements and regulations), you can become more marketable and mobile. The CDO will work with you to determine the best jurisdiction to sit for the bar, as well as provide assistance with networking and job opportunities throughout the country.