More than 50 Iowa law firms, legal departments, and solo practitioners have joined the Drake Law Library Association (DLLA) since 1986. Many members have used the special services available only to them, especially expedited photocopy service, interlibrary loan service, and special parking permits.
For more information about joining
the Drake Law Library Association, please contact Melanie Carlson at 515-271-4581 or e-mail email@example.com
For more information about services
available to the Drake Law Library Association, call the Drake Law Library at 515-271-3189.
In addition to standard services offered to members of the bar, membership in the Drake Law Library Association provides benefits and services otherwise unavailable. Because of this Drake Law Library Association members should identify themselves as members when requesting services. (Availability of services may sometimes be limited by staffing or operational requirements of the library.) These benefits and services include:
Services to the Bench and Bar
- Expedited Photocopy Service. This service is designed to provide prompt delivery of materials at times when a few citations are needed quickly. Members may submit photocopy requests by email (firstname.lastname@example.org), or if during normal business hours, phone (515-271-3759). Any case file name or other client information needed for law firm accounting should be included with the request. Requests received in the morning normally are completed by the end of the day. Copying for a list of citations normally can be completed within 48 hours. The cost of copying and processing is billed to the requestor’s account. The charge is $3.00 per citation plus $.10 per page.
- Research Assistance. Members of the Drake Law Library Association can call the library at 515-271-3189 and request a reference librarian during normal business hours for basic research assistance. If an immediate answer is not possible, a follow-up response normally can be expected within a few hours.
- Interlibrary Loan Service. Members of the Drake Law Library Association may make use of the Law Library’s interlibrary loan service to obtain research material not available locally. Through this service, which reaches libraries across the country, books can be borrowed and articles can be obtained in photocopy format. Books must be returned promptly to comply with the Interlibrary Loan Code. Charges apply for some interlibrary loan transactions, often depending on the policy of the library supplying the material. Please request interlibrary loan materials by email (email@example.com), or if during normal business hours, phone (515-271-3759).
- Parking Privileges. Special parking permits enable members of the Drake Law Library Association to park in designated spots in the Wifvat lot north of Opperman Hall (where signs indicate they are reserved for Friends).
- Conference/Research Room. Members of the Drake Law Library Association may request access to a Law Library conference room, subject to availability. To ensure availability, call 515-271-4961 during normal business hours at least 24 hours in advance.
- Customized Library Tours. Members of the Drake Law Library Association may request orientation tours of the Law Library for attorneys and staff members and/or tours focusing on particular areas of the collection. Tours may be scheduled by calling the Reference Librarian at 515-271-2053.
- Professional Library Consulting. Members of the Drake Law Library Association can schedule a meeting with our professional staff to discuss topics such as: coordination of firm collections with Drake’s to help reduce firm costs; development, organization, and management of the firm’s library resources; firm library space allocation; utilizing electronic resources in firms; and related topics. The initial consultation and follow-up are free to DLLA members. If more than a basic review is required, fees may be charged depending on factors such as complexity, time involved, and related matters. Contact the Director’s office at 515-271-2141 to schedule an appointment.
- Newsletter. Members of the Drake Law Library Association will receive an annual newsletter highlighting new services and resources available at the Law Library as well as other topics of interest.
In addition to the benefits and services above, the Drake Law Library provides the following services to Iowa practicing attorneys and the judiciary:
- Photocopy Service. Attorneys may obtain a copy/print card that allows them to use the self-service photocopiers in the library. More information is available here.
- Borrowing Privileges. The Drake Law Library extends borrowing privileges to Iowa attorneys. Materials may be renewed by phone up to five times as long as other patrons do not need them.
- Reference Assistance. Basic reference assistance is available during normal business hours. If an immediate answer is not possible, a follow-up response normally can be expected within a few hours.
- Westlaw and Shepard’s Citator Services. Computers in the Law Library lobby provide free access to the Westlaw primary law collection, including KeyCite, and to the Shepard’s service for cite-checking. Ask for assistance at the Information Desk.
- Law Library Web Page. The Law Library’s Web page provides access to the online catalog and Web links to a wide variety of Iowa, federal, and topical legal information that can be accessed by attorneys in their homes or offices. The Web address is: http://www.law.drake.edu/library/.
Drake University Law Library Information Desk Phone: 515-271-3189