Special Collections
HomeLibrary › Special Collections FaceBookTwitterYouTube
Rare Books and Special Collections

The Drake University Law Library Rare Book Room (Room 283) is located on the second floor near the central staircase. It preserves, protects, and organizes those library materials which, because of their rarity, value, format, significance, or condition are housed in a secure, climate-controlled room.

Items located in the Rare Book Room are identified as such in the library catalog. Patrons may ask at the Information Desk for in-library use of Rare Book Room materials during regular reference hours.  All users must abide by the usage policy.

National Bar Association Archives

The National Bar Association Archives is located on the lower level (LL Room 16) and was dedicated in 2007. The archives contain biographical information, newspaper clippings, and articles about five of the original founders -- S. Joe Brown, Charles P. Howard, James B. Morris, Gertrude Rush, and George Woodson. These five African-American lawyers from Des Moines co-founded the National Bar Association in 1925.

The archives also contain reports filed by the FBI from 1937-1958 on founder Charles P. Howard, annual meeting conference materials dating back to 1978, materials on other prominent members of the National Bar Association, and information on the National Association of Bench and Bar Spouses.

Charles P. Howard received his law degree from Drake University in 1922.

The archive is open to the public. Patrons may ask at the Information Desk for in-library use of materials during regular reference hours.

Charles Wennerstrum

The Charles Wennerstrum papers are located in the Rare Book Room (Room 283) on the second floor. Charles Wennerstrum was the presiding judge in the Hostage Case at the Nuremberg war crime trials in 1947 and 1948 while on leave from the Iowa Supreme Court. The papers contain personal notes, trial proceedings, memorabilia, and newspaper articles. 

Charles Wennerstrum received his law degree from Drake University in 1914.

The archive is open to the public. Patrons may ask at the Information Desk for in-library use of materials during regular reference hours.

 
Last Modified: 7/16/2014 1:36:00 PM by David Hanson